I love shopping for new craft items and especially love the range available from TheWorks. My lovely husband didn’t mind me getting a few new die cutters and some foil art (that i have yet to play with but am excited to try out.)
So today I want to show you just how pritty the birdcage is. Not sure why my cards seem to come in threes but there we go.
The basic idea for this card was to keep colours pale so the butterflies would stand out. After hunting through my paper I decided to use some that came free with a magazine, it was a collection of stunning papers and toppers by hunky dory. I love these papers so much that i struggle to bring myself to use them. Does anyone else find it hard to cut beautiful papers? Anyway it had a subtle background and the sweet birds, it just fitted perfectly.
Once i had cut my background to size i cut more of the flowers from the bottom of the page so I could position the second bird as if it were talking to it’s friend. This second layer I stuck down using foam pads to create depth.
I didn’t want the butterflies to look trapped so i stuck some of them to the outside of the cage. I think they would have looked better if all the butterflies were the same colours as the flowers along the bottom of the card.
If you have read many of my posts you will know how much i love my cheap golden mirror card, bought from B&M so a real bargain. It would have been rude to not make at least one golden birdcage. One of my paper pads held the pastel coloured background with all the swirls and flowers I felt it really gave a beautiful backdrop for my birdcage.
The third card may look like it isn’t done using the same cutter but it is actually two parts of the birdcage, carefully pieced together to create the balloon. I wish i had taken step by step photos to show you how i created this.
In reality this was created because two of my attempts to cut the birdcage broke, this is due to the die cutter only just fitting in my machine and so if it goes in at all on a slant it tears the paper before getting stuck. The top parts of the birdcages were fine and so i turned one upside down to create the pale yellow bottom of the balloon, positioning my little panda to hide the very bottom.
The basket is made using the pieces from the cuts and carefully drawing in the rope with a black pen. As i didn’t have a suitable sentiment i chose to write my own, practicing a few times to get the size right.
I am very happy with this creative use of my die cutter. Let me know what you think and as always thank you very much for reading.